When setting up your Ecommerce store, most often you’ll want your customers to pay you at checkout. However, you may run into scenarios where you’d prefer that your customers be able to place their order without payment. This could include free digital downloads, accepting payment in person, or other scenarios outlined below.
In this lesson, you’ll learn how to accept Ecommerce orders without payment by using the following:
- Explore use cases for orders without payment
- Follow requirements to begin accepting orders without payment
Explore use cases for orders without payment
Depending on how you run your Ecommerce store, what you sell, and how your customers prefer to pay for services or goods, you may want to offer the ability to accept orders without payment (e.g., without going through the traditional Stripe checkout flow).
The following scenarios would benefit from orders without payment:
- Cash on delivery (COD)
- Accepting payment in person
- Requesting payment via an alternate payment method (e.g., cash, check, etc.)
- Offering a free digital download
Follow requirements to begin accepting orders without payment
To enable a checkout flow without payment for an item in your store, keep in mind the following requirements:
- You must set the product’s price to $0.00
- You must have an Ecommerce site plan on your project to enable checkout
- You must connect a Stripe or PayPal payment gateway
Once these requirements are met, a user will only need to enter in their email and billing address at checkout.
To set a product’s price to $0.00:
- Open the Ecommerce panel in your project
- Click the Products collection
- Click the product whose price you want to change and set its price to $0.00
- Save the updated product and republish your project to reflect the price change
Repeat the steps above for any additional products whose price you want to set to $0.00.
Note: If applicable, you may want to set up a free shipping option for your users to choose at checkout.